Tuesday 10 December 2013

Snowy day poem and recipe that go well together

Some years ago I had the good fortune to go to see New England in the Autumn, or Fall as they call it there. Travelling round New England I felt like I was coming home. Maybe from having seen so many films set there, or it's similarity to England, the friendliness of the people, all the books I have read set there, it was all so wonderful.
Robert Frost, the poet, was born in New Hampshire and  also lived for some years in Britain.
His poetry magically evokes the countryside and transports me to the woods round the house where I grew up.
I don't know where the place is, that inspired this poem, but in my imagination it takes me home.

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening  (Robert Frost)

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though,
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
the only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.



Crockpot Snowy Day Beef Stew Recipe

Prep time about 30 minutes... cooking time 8 1/4-10 1/4 hours

Filled with colourful vegetables, mushrooms, and potatoes, this stew is such a complete dish that you need very few accompaniments -- perhaps just a mixed green salad and hot biscuits or crunchy French rolls.

1 medium-size onion, finely chopped
2 medium-size carrots, cut into 1/4" thick slanting slices
1 pound small thin-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into quarters
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 to 2 1/4 pounds lean boneless beef round, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons dry thyme
1 can (about 14 1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
1 package (about 10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
salt

In a 3 1/2-quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine onion, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. Coat beef cubes with flour, then add to cooker and sprinkle with thyme. Add tomatoes and wine. Cover and cook at low setting until beef is very tender when pierced (8 to 10 hours).

Skim and discard fat from stew, if necessary. Stir in peas. Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook until peas are heated through (10 to 15 more minutes). Season to taste with salt. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Per serving: 313 calories (15% from fat), 37 g protein, 29 g carbohydrates, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated), 79 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium

Hope you enjoy the poem and the recipe ...


1 comment:

  1. As a person who grew up in New England and who had been away for almost 24 autumns or falls, I was thrilled to drive from Boston to Montreal in early October. I also love Robert Frost. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete