Thursday 26 December 2013

Boxing Day, a special day

Today is called Boxing Day in Britain, because in Victorian times boxes of provisions were given to people like the postman or the milkman.
It is St. Stephen's day, in Italy Santo Stefano.
To us, however, it is above all, the day my Mum was born.

To me Christmas Day, is all gold and red, bright and sparkly. Boxing Day is pink and silver and smells of roses. There was always a stack of cards amongst our Christmas cards, with "For the 26th" written on the envelope. There was always a lovely box of chocolates, there was always our deep, unfathomable love for her.

She was the youngest of six children and deeply loved, right from the start. The older ones always said, they looked after her with kid gloves. It is easy to understand why. She was sweet and gentle, loving and kind. All through her life, she gave out love and comfort to all.

My Dad and Mum fell in love when they he was 18 and  she was 15.

They held hands tightly all through their lives, in every sense. At my Dad's funeral, my daughter said "looking at Grandpa and Grandma we learnt the meaning of true love."

Here is a poem written 300 years ago by an American, called Anne Bradstreet for her husband,

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were loved by wife, then thee:
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me ye woman if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole mines of gold,
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that rivers cannot quench,
Nor aught but love from thee, give recompense.
Thy love is such I can no way repay,
The heavens reward thee manifold I pray,
then while we live, in love let's so persever,
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

It could have been written for them.

On this very special day for me, I dedicate this poem to all couples in long-lasting, friendly, comfortable and loving relationship, and to all those young couples just starting, that they will find comfort with each other always.

Happy Boxing day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment