Tuesday 15 April 2014

Clouds over Italy, clouds over the world



Most of the time the Italian sky is a brilliant deep blue , all year round. The same colour as the shirt of the Italian National Football team.. In Spring however there can be a bit more movement in the sky and April is probably the best month to see clouds scudding across , to be able to watch the shapes changing and fantasize about what you can see there. Maybe a lion, E.T or an orchestra director, let your imagination run wild.
On an Italian television programme on Sunday', Che tempo che fa, 'the presenter, Fabio Fazio interviewed an Italian astronaut, Major Luca Parmitano. He tried to describe the sensations of being in space, of what the blackness of space looks and feels like. He showed photos of the earth taken from space. When he showed Italy it was upside- down. He said when you are in space north and south have no importance.
Watching the clouds in the sky today I sang Judy Collins "Both sides now". In my head of course. I loved this song when I was growing up. Whenever I hear it, the whole of my youth comes flooding back. Here are the words, for those that can't see my link . It is a lovely nostalgic song, just right for looking at the clouds on a bright,sunny April day.
 

Both Sides Now, Judy Collins

Bows and flows of angel hair,
And ice-cream castles in the air,
And feathered canyons everywhere,
I've looked at clouds that way.
But now they only block the sun,
They rain and snow on everyone,
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way,
 
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down,
And still somehow
It's clouds' illusions I recall
I really don't know
Clouds at all.
 
Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels,
the dizzy,dancing way you feel,
When every fairy-tale comes real,
I've looked at love that way,
But now it's just another show
you leave them laughing when you go,
And if you care, don't let them know
Don't give yourself away.
 
I've looked at love from both sides now
From win and lose
But still somehow
It's love's illusions I recall,
I really don't know
Love at all.
 
Tears and Fears and feeling proud
To say 'I love you' right out loud
Dreams and schemes
And circus crowds
I've looked at life that way,
But now my friends are acting strange
They shake their heads
They say I've changed
For something's lost and something's gained
In living every day.
 
I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose
But still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know
Life at all
 
 
 
 
 
Head in the clouds
Watch the shapes change in the April sky
Italian clouds in an Italian sky
I can see cupid here





2 comments:

  1. Wow these pics are amazing, they remind of some renaissance paintings' skies..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete