Tuesday 22 April 2014

If a job's worth doing ...

A SPECIAL CUP OF COFFEE DELIVERED WITH A SMILE MAKES A STOP TO REFUEL MORE PLEASANT
One of my Mum 's favourite sayings to me was 'if a job's worth doing then it's worth doing well'. This was always accompanied by a mischievous smile when I did things like lay the table or tidy up my bedroom in what she described as a slovenly way . The funny thing was I liked coming home from school to find my bed still unmade , to flop down on the top of it and listen to her making our tea. I ' m talking about when I was ten here .

AN ATTRACTIVE SIGN MAKES THE JOURNEY TO SCHOOL MORE APPEALING
Her words ringing in my ears made me appreciate anyone doing their job well. Whenever I go to the doctor or the dentist and they, hopefully,  say something reassuring like ' oh that's nothing, we can easily sort that out , take this and do that and you'll be right as rain' , I go away walking on air and so grateful to them for all their years of studying and hard work. Whenever something goes wrong with the car or the washing- machine or any situation where I just haven't a clue, I feel so glad to have met someone who knows what they are doing.to come across a painter or a builder, a mechanic or a doctor that you trust and can rely on makes a really positive difference to your whole life.If they do the job pleasantly and efficiently and don't make you feel an idiot because actually turned it on or the switch had tripped you feel eternally  in their debt.Invariably these competent skilled people, when you enthusiastically and gratefully thank them, will utter something about'only doing their job'. But as my Mum taught me a long time ago there are many ways of doing a job. Those professional and skilled people that do their job well are valued treasures indeed.

A NICELY ARRANGED TRAY MAKES A QUICK DRINK MORE OF AN OCCASION

No comments:

Post a Comment