Tuesday 24 June 2014

Understanding accents

Whenever I try and show off something goes wrong. I'm just not very good at it. However I am brilliant at making a fool of myself when I do try. It happened today. An Italian friend sent me a link and a comment saying how difficult he found it to understand Scottish accents. I was in a rush so just watched the first part of the link and then wrote back to him saying the accent was actually American. Smart Alec me got a quick reply from him saying that the Scottish accent was at the end of the sketch. So an American pretending to have a Scottish accent. No wonder he didn't understand it. I had a lovely Scottish uncle. A handsome man that came down south during the war, met my aunt and never went back. His accent stayed with him all his life. My dad could never understand him, I don't think they ever said more than 'What's yours mate?' or 'Have one on me., to each other. My children loved his Scottish accent. they would say 'Pure orange juice', rolling their rs the way he did with gusto.. Sometimes I can't understand accents either, not having a very elastic brain, but I love the poetry of  Robert Burns 81759-1796)  even if I don't always understand it. His passion and his wit, his humour and his love of life leaps out of the page every time I read one of his poems, even if I don't understand all the words. Here is an easy one to start with.

Ye flowery bank of bonnie Doon,
How can ye blume sae fair!
How can ye chant ye little birds
And I sae fu' o' care.

Thou'll break my heart, thou bonnie bird,
That sings upon the bough,
Thou minds me of the happy days
When my fause luve was true

No comments:

Post a Comment