Wednesday 12 February 2014

Words of comfort

Often, when I am speaking to people who are suffering in any way, I think of this poem that gave great comfort to my Mum. She loved me reading it to her, just the first line and a calm would settle over her. Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892) must have been then like great songwriters are for us today. He sadly knew grief early on his life when he lost his close friend, Arthur Hallam (1811-1833). He must have known how the nearness and kindness of those that care about us is always such a comfort and strength.

Be near me when my light is low
When the blood creeps, and the nerves prick
And tingle, and the heart is sick
And all the wheels of being slow.

Be near me when the sensuous frame
Is racked with pangs that conquer trust;
And Time, a maniac scattering dust,
And  Life, a fury slinging frame.

This next poem by Robert Greene is telling us that we should cultivate the art of contentment and is another one that reminds me of my Mum. Although it does also make me think of that Italian saying ... 
La ricchezza non porta felicita, figuriamoci la miseria
... which roughly translated means "wealth doesn't bring us happiness, so goodness knows what poverty would bring".
Anyway it's good to be thankful for what we have and  this poem reminds us of that,  
Sweet are the thoughts that savour of content:
The quiet mind is richer than a crown.
Sweet are the nights in careless slumber spent;
The poor estate scorns fortune's angry frown.
Such sweet content, such minds,such sleep,such bliss
Beggars enjoy when princes oft do miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment