Thursday 27 February 2014

The one about the daffodils


 
 One of William Wordsworth's most well-loved poems is the one about the daffodils. Anyone who has ever been to the English Lake District or seen the film about Beatrix Potter can easily imagine how he got the inspiration to write such a lovely poem. One of the wonders of the human imagination is the ability to recall wonderful scenes at will. Just close your eyes and picture yourself walking across the beautiful green hills and vales, coming across the daffodils and maybe a nice welcoming pub with a roaring log fire. Involve all your senses while doing so. You will feel quite revived just after a few minutes, even on a busy work day.

I took a photo of some lovely Italian daffodils growing by a stream. You can tell they are Italian by the palm trees in the background.

 
I wandered lonely as a cloud, by William Wordsworth (1804-07)
 
I wandered lonely as a cloud,
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
 
Then the last verse:-
 
For oft, when on my couch I lie,
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


1 comment:

  1. Funny, I was just admiring our show of daffodils in our garden in Spain as the dog uncrossed his legs this morning. The spring flowers is one of the few things I miss about England.

    ReplyDelete