Tuesday 11 February 2014

True love

When you look at this photo of my aunt and uncle I think you can easily see how much they loved each other. A lifetime of love is there in this one photo. They were both so very kind and gentle and their love for each other was like a balm in their lives. This aunt was my Mum's eldest sister. My Mum adored her. She said she was like a second mother to her. My Mum's face lit up whenever you said her sister's name and  whenever you suggested ringing her you could see the delight of childhood in her eyes.

My uncle had a rather traumatic childhood and spent a long time in an orphanage. He fell in love with my aunt and she became the centre of his world. Their love for each other warmed not only their own lives but those of whoever was near them.

I spent a lot of time at their house as a child. They had a beautiful labrador called Judy. She was sweet and gentle like them. My uncle smoked a pipe and spoke to me with such kindness and love. I thought the world of both of them. My cousins were older than me, ten years is a lot when you' re growing up. They lived in a far off land where people went courting and sat in front rooms with the door closed quietly kissing and getting to know each other.
I was allowed to play their records in the other room. They had exciting titles like, Chapel of love, Then he kissed me, My boy lollipop, The leader of the pack.

Listening to these records I would feel the first thrills of that distant adult world where people fell in love and woke up beside each other every day  happy to see each other. As we approach Valentine's Day I dedicate this photo of my aunt and uncle to all of you interested in true love.

I wish you all a photo like this after sixty years of being together with the one you love.

1 comment: