Wednesday 12 February 2014

Torta Paradiso

My husband's Grandma taught me how to make Torta Paradiso, it 's very similar to the sponge cake my Mum and I used to make together. I always like to make it for a special occasion and it easily adapted to the seasons. In Winter it becomes a coffee and walnut or chocolate cake, in Summer freshly whipped cream and strawberries make it a lovely birthday cake. For little children it's best just plain. Whatever I decide, I put on one of my favourite CDs and always use the same method. Cream, beat and fold. No electric appliances to drown out the music, just the pleasure of some quiet time to think and create a family friendly cake.


Torta Paradiso

5 eggs
250g sugar
250g butter
250g flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and a pinch of salt

Beat the softened butter and sugar with a wooden spoin until light and creamy. Add the eggs slowly , whisking with a fork. If the mixture curdles add some of the flour, between whisks. Fold in the flour with a metal spoon,mixture gently.

Bake for about 35-40 minutes at 180 in a well- buttered 24 cm cake tin. 
Check it is cooked through by inserting a knife in the middle. If it comes out clean it's ready. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment