Thursday 27 February 2014

Greens are good for you

Broccoli soup with mascarpone and toasted almonds
My mum, probably like most mums, wanted us to eat our greens. She was convinced they were as essential as the air you breathe. We were  a generation that watched 'Popeye the sailor man', and every time he ate spinach he became magically super strong and got his girl, Olive Oil.

I'm Popeye the sailor man
And I live in a caravan
I'm strong to the finish
Cos I eat my spinach
I'm Popeye the sailor man.
My children, like me, were more keen on peas, tomatoes and carrots. I managed to disguise most vegetables in risottos with lots of parmesan cheese, or in Torte Salate.
I have two favourite recipes for broccoli, one with pasta and one that is a soup. This evening we had Broccoli soup. This is a recipe that works just as well with carrots or courgettes.

Broccoli Soup
 
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic- optional
700 g broccoli florets or carrots peeled and chopped or courgettes washed and sliced
2 potatoes peeled and chopped
400g cannelini beans - optional-
Almonds - toasted - optional
Dollop of creme fraiche to garnish - optional
900ml stock or water
Salt and pepper

Melt a knob of butter in a large saucepan
Add the prepared vegetables , put the lid on and cook gently for a few minutes so the flavours develop.
Add the stock and bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer gently until the vegetables are cooked.
Add the beans if using, they go well with the broccoli.
Puree with a hand held blender.
Serve in bowls and garnish to taste.
This evening I used  mascarpone and toasted almonds.
 
Some of the ingredients for Broccoli soup

No comments:

Post a Comment