Sunday 9 February 2014

Sunday: Walk, Brunch, Plum Cake & Rugby

Today there were just the two of us for lunch. The bright sunshine was calling us outside so we had a quick brunch for two to make the most of the beautiful day and be back home in time to watch Karolina Costner's brilliant performance.It was really moving, she glided around to Schubert's Ave Maria wearing a dress that all little girls would dream of. Then we watched the France-Italy Rugby match . I made a Plum cake for the Italian friends that I have persuaded to become enthusiastic about watching Italy play. Plum cake has nothing to do with plums and as far as I know only Italians call it like this. It is a sort of sponge cake baked in a loaf tin.
Sunday brunch for two

Scrambled eggs on toast
Smoked salmon on toast
salad and tomatoes
two glasses of Prosecco
the last of the mandarini,

Shy violet found on our walk

Plum Cake


3 eggs
80 g butter
50 g cream or ricotta
190g sugar
140 g flour
grated rind of 1 lemon
pinch of salt
2 tsps. of baking powder
A handful of sultanas or raisins, rinsed and sprinkled with flour

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs and lemon rind, until light and fluffy. Add the cream or ricotta and the softened butter, beat well. Fold in the flour and baking powder and the salt.Stir in the raisins or sultanas.
Bake in a well-buttered loaf tin for about 30 minutes at 180.


I served my Plum-cake on my Jubilee china plate. It is the perfect size. My Auntie Dora and Uncle Cyril gave it to me, and they liked to say "It's jubilee, do you believe it? "  Jubilee-Do you believe. I'll tell you about them some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment