Monday 10 February 2014

Sally and devoted dogs

Sally was our first dog. I introduced you to her in a previous post. I have been thinking of her today. I still cry when I think of her. It's something all dog lovers understand. Their trust, their fidelity and devotion, the way  they look at you with such utter adoration.
Sally was sweet and gentle, she didn't rush round doing daft amusing things, she gave comfort and calm to every day. Every drawing I did at school was her, every essay and project was about her.
Once we had some friends to stay who had daughters a bit older than me. They fell in love with Sally, they hugged her and held her constantly. When they left my dear sweet Mum said to me, "I was really proud of you, the way you shared Sally." She always understood ...


I read once that for children to come home from school and find a devoted dog, always pleased to see them greeting them eagerly, is considered by psychologist to be a great help.

I was determined that my own children would have the delights of a dog during their childhood, even though we lived in a flat. We got them a little poodle, because they don't malt and are very intelligent. She was called Orsetta (it's a proper name in Italian, but it also means "little bear"), she became to them the friend that Sally was to me. The only problem with her was that she was so intelligent that she could hear any of us returning home when we were over a mile away. Our neighbours told us that she howled in agony the moment we left. We never heard her. Apart from that, she was the perfect pet.

I saw a greeting card once -you probably have noticed that I love reading greeting cards- it said "Please let me be as good as my dog thinks I am." All of us who have been gazed at in total adoration, understand that.
I once bought a book called something like "How to train a man like a dog", in my mission to understand and look after my husband. It's all about making him your best friend, faithful, trusting and devoted like a dog. Giving him treats can't be bad. It has lots of good advice. The same that can be applied to dogs. Give him his own personal space, train him to come when you call, give him lots of cuddles and praise, keep him on a lead, don't let him roam. It all sounds great. Just one thing, I would never, ever, let friends cuddle him.

Just a little poem to end with

My dog, the trustiest of his kind,
With gratitude inflames my mind
I mark his true his faithful way
And in my service copy Tray.
(John Gay, The fables, 1727)

No comments:

Post a Comment