Friday 28 February 2014

More about Wales



Welsh cakes

Mixing the dough

March brings breezes loud and shrill
Stirs the dancing daffodil.

Tomorrow is the first of March. Happy birthday to everyone born on 29 th February.
It is also St David's day. A friend of mine reminded me this morning. We used to celebrate at school in England. St David is the Patron Saint of Wales.
 
When I think of Wales all sorts of wonderful things come to mind. The beautiful Pembrokeshire coastline, islands populated by puffins, my nephew who described his weekends in Wales going up Snowdon, having a beer, and coming down again, in such a delightful, appealing way I'd like to do it too.
 
When I read "How green is my valley" as a young girl, I became Welsh in my head,I lived and breathed that book. I keep a bottle of brandy just to slosh in a minestrone on a cold night to relive the warm family atmosphere that the author created.
 
Of course there is also singing and Rugby, Gavin and Stacey, The Brecon Beacons, Llandudno - my first ever seaside holiday.
 
My friend Linda's mum was Welsh and she used to make us delicious Welsh cakes, a sort of cross between a scone and a pancake.
This afternoon I tried to make them in honour of Wales and St David.

Welsh cakes

225 g flour
Half a teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
75g. Butter
75g sugar
50g sultanas
Tsp mixed spice- optional
1 egg
Milk to bind

Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the sultanas, sugar and mixed spice if using.
Mix in the egg and enough milk to bind.
Turn out onto a floured board and roll out to a thickness of 1-2 cms. Cut intoabout 10 rounds using a glass or pastry cutter.
Cook on a hot griddle or frying pan for about 5 minutes each side, being careful not to let them get too brown.
I haven't got a griddle so ended up putting them in the oven !!


A cup of tea to drink while baking


No comments:

Post a Comment