Monday 13 October 2014

Thinking about dreams

Lots of things have been written about dreams. A certain man called Freud spent a lot of his life trying to interpret them.
 In Italy people use their dreams to decide what numbers to choose for the lottery. Beautiful songs have been written about dreams. On the whole when we hear the word dream we think of something nice :-Follow your dreams, sweet dreams, may all your dreams come true.

 
 In the song 'Ruby Tuesday' The Rolling Stones tell us Lose your dreams and you might lose your mind, in the James Bond film 'You only live twice'. it is 'You only live twice, or so it seems, one life for yourself and one for your dreams.' You can probably think of many more, probably my favourite is the old smooch song 'All I have to do is dream' by the Everley Brothers.

When I was very young I would look forward to going to bed just to dream. I would drift off to sleep having weaved a whole different life around me. I was a vet and then a nurse and then a teacher. I had great adventures making people and animals better. I had a large very happy family.My mum used to read me a poem by Rose Fyleman (1877-1957) that struck a chord in me. here it is I hope you like it too.


Mrs. Brown


As soon as I'm in bed at night
And snugly settled down
The little girl I am by day
Goes very suddenly away,
And then I'm Mrs. Brown

I have a family of six
And all of them have names,
The girls are Joyce and Nancy Maud,
the boys are Marmaduke and Claude,
And Percival and James.

We have a house with twenty rooms,
A mile away from town,
I think it's good for girls and boys
To be allowed to make a noise -
And so does Mr. Brown.

We do the most exciting things
Enough to make you creep;
And on and on and on we go -
I sometimes wonder if I know
When I have gone to sleep.


Dreams aren't always pleasant though and it can be a relief to wake up.

A Medley of Dreams



My bottom hung down to my knees
It looked like a big balloon,
All my teeth had fallen out
I could taste the blood on my tongue.
My brother locked me in a cage
And threw away the key
His friends flew past the window
Pointing and laughing at me
I tried to run through a big, dark wood
But my feet were stuck and I could not move
Someone bad was drawing near
My heart beat fast and full of fear
I cried and saw with growing dread
A hillside towering above my head
The climb was steep,I tightened my grip
It was a long way down, I dare not slip
Then at the top, I don't know how
My sister-in-law was milking a cow
Driving fast along a lane
Desperately trying to get home again
Green hedges and fields all around
But I was lonely there wasn't a sound
Wheat and barley away to the sea
I wasn't where I wanted to be
Scared and lost and all alone
Then a kiss, the smell of coffee
I'm awake and at home.



 
Here are the lyrics to a lovely song by Abba from the musical mamma mia.
 
I have a dream, a song to sing,
To help me cope with anything,
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail.
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream, I have a dream.
 
I have a dream, a fantasy
To help me through reality
And my destination makes it worth the while
Pushing through the darkness still another mile
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
 
I'll cross the stream, I have a dream.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment