Thursday 9 October 2014

Il granturco nei campi è maturo

Walking past a corn field to day the lines of a song by an Italian singer/ songwriter came into my head, Francesco de Gregori. You may remember that I can sing beautifully in my head and so it was a really pleasant walk with this song accompanying me all the way. So it is my poem for the day even though it is a song. An Italian friend of mine told me that her husband sang it to her every night when they first got married. I do wish I could sing.. her are the words in case you can and a lovely Autumn walk.

Buona Notte Fiorellino, Francesco de Gregori


Buonanotte, buonanotte, amore mio
Buonanotte tra il telefono e il cielo
Ti ringrazio per avermi stupito
Per avermi giurato che è vero
Il granturco nei campi è mature
Ed ho tanto bisogno di te
La coperta è gelata
L'estate è finite
Buonanotte questa note è per te

Buonanotte, buonanotte, fiorellino
Buonanotte fra le stele e la stanza
Per sognarti, devo averti vicino
é vicino non è ancora abbastanza
Ora un raggio di sole si è fermato
Proprio sopra il mio biglietto scaduto
Tra I tuoi fiocchi di neve, le tue foglie di te
Buonanotte questa note è per te

Buonanotte, buonanotte, monetina
Buonanotte tra il mare e la pioggia
La tristezza passerà domattina
é l' anello resterà sulla spiaggia
Gli uccellini nel vento non si fanno mai male
Hanno ali piu grandi di me
e dal'alba al tramonto sono soli nel sole
Buonanotte questa note è per te.

For those of you who don't understand Italian here is a poem for the day from 'Sardello' by Robert Browning (1812-1889). It was published in 1840 and is rather long and complicated, but this verse is very nice for an Autumn evening.

'That autumn eve was stilled.
A last remains of sunset dimly burned
O'er the far forests, - like a torch- flame turned
By the wind back upon it's bearer's hand.
In one long flare of crimson; as a brand,
The woods beneath lay black.



No comments:

Post a Comment