Wednesday 19 August 2015

Show me the way to go home



Show me the way to go home,
I'm tired and I want to go to bed,
I had a little drink about an hour ago,
And it's gone right to my head.

Wherever I may roam
O'er land or sea or foam.
You'll always here me singing this song,
Show me the way to go home.

You might have seen in the news recently about a bedtime story that uses certain words and is guaranteed to make children fall quickly off to sleep. Bath time, bedtime and the bedtime, are a wonderful time of day when you have small children. Sweet smelling, warm and relaxed, it's a chance to cuddle up and show how much you love each other.
The song above was one of my mother's favourites and it sent me off to sleep like magic, feeling safe and loved. Just the thought of being safe at home was enough. It was years later that my son singing it to his own children pointed out that it was about a drunk trying to find his way home, it didn't take the magic away, we all want to find our way home at some time.
I'm going right of at a tangent now. I was thinking about homes and how varied they can be, a high rise flat, a small cottage, a villa, a mansion . I came upon a small house on holiday in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by flat countryside, a lagoon and marshes, but there it was.. Number 10 and home to someone. So I asked if I could take a photo and what was it like living there in the middle of nowhere.  My questions were met with enthusiasm and a strong sense of belonging there. The address, Number 10, in the middle of nowhere, a wonderful place to come home to.
Number 10

An interesting little home

The next door neighbour

No comments:

Post a Comment