Thursday 6 August 2015

An amazing assortment of aphorisms





Facebook often has wise sayings posted on it that you can pass on to family and friends to inspire or encourage them without getting too personal or annoying. In a shop yesterday, a sort of Ikea shop, there were lots of pictures for sale of wise sayings that you could buy and hang on your wall and constantly be reminded of this wisdom to incorporate into your daily life, to remind you of what's important, in case you forget. yes I have got my tongue slightly in my cheek.
I recognized quite a few from facebook,

You might forget what people do, you might forget what they say, but you'll never forget how they make you feel.

Today I received one that was really really long, but to sum it up it said not to waste your precious time, and so I have given you this lovely Italian song by Fiorella Mannoia that tells you that time is precious and you must use it wisely and well.

One of the kings of short witty sayings or aphorisms was Oscar Wilde. You find his aphorisms everywhere. Maybe on the dessert page of a menu next to photographs of rich, creamy, chocolate concoctions it might say I can resist everything except temptation.
Other favourites from Oscar Wilde :-Everything in moderation, even moderation.
and perhaps the most inspiring of all :-
Keep love in your heart.
A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.


We probably have all been given a memento from a friend with a saying that is a wish.
It's the same with t-shirts. They are usually written in English and often you wonder maybe the people wearing them don't know what they are proclaiming.
An elderly friend of mine has a pretty pink t-shirt that declares
Playboy pleasure seeker.

There are so many of these sayings everywhere that often you don't take much notice, but yesterday I walked past a woman and on her t-shirt it said  'I hate everyone.'

It took a bit of control not to ask her if she knew, I didn't dare, what if she did?
Two of my favourites

No comments:

Post a Comment