Wednesday 1 January 2014

World Peace Day

Today, is World Peace Day. We went on a Peace march. We all walked, quietly through  the town and then listened to lots of people talking about their experiences in various parts of the world.

We were given a copy of the Pope's speech.
It  is  based on fraternity or brotherhood, and how it is essential to bringing about peace, in the world.It is an essential part of man.He also said charity begins at home. We must start there. We have got to feel  this fraternity. We are all in the same boat.We need to row together.

The other day, I was driving along, following a lorry. There was a map of the world on the back. Every time I look at a map of the world, I feel like it is one country. It belongs to us all.Britain and Italy are very small, compared to Africa or America. The whole world is very small compared to the universe.
I watched all the dazzling firework displays around the world. All the places I love, London, Rome,Paris, New York and those that I feel very fond of even though I've never been there, Hong Kong, Rio, Moscow,Sydney, Auckland, Dubai. Everyone looked like they were happy doing exactly the same thing, laughing, singing and enjoying the firweork display, and facing the New Year with hope. In London they had something extra, banana flavoured confetti and orange scented bubbles.

In the 70 s John Lennon's song used to ring in our ears "All we are saying, is give peace a chance".
Joan Baez sang "There, but for fortune, go you or I".
Someone else sang that we needed one big melting pot.
My Dad thought he'd gone to war so my Brother wouldn't have to.
There was another song that we all sang called "Where have all the flowers gone, and it ended "When will they ever learn".

On this, the first day of the year, we can all start, as the Pope reminded us, with charity at home.






No comments:

Post a Comment