Wednesday 15 January 2014

Old heads on young shoulders

My Dad would often say to us "You can't put old heads on young shoulders".
This had the effect of making us feel that we weren't behaving wisely, we'd done something wrong.
Wisdom is defined as the ability  to discern or judge what is true or right. To be wise, is to have good judgement.
According to Confucius, there are three methods  to learn wisdom.
The first one is by reflection and that is the noblest.
The second is by imitation, and that is the easiest.
The third is by experience, and that is the most bitter.
Socrates took the wind out of everybody' sails, by saying, "The only true wisdom, is in knowing you know nothing."
Going back to "you can't put old heads on young shoulders", is something that any parent can relate to.
How can you encourage and stimulate children and young people, if they aren't? How can you steer them in what you think is the right direction?
When I see young people coming out of school, their bags full of books and an afternoon of homework in front of them, how many of them actually consider it a privilege, and put all their energy into it? How many older people wish they'd worked harder and got better qualifications?
The lyrics to the old Ronnie Wood song Oh La La (<= click; sung also by Rod Stewart) could sum it up.

The words of the song refer specifically to women trouble, but the chorus could easily apply to school work, behaviour, drinking, any challenge that faces young people.

Poor old Granddad
I laughed at all his words
I thought he was a bitter man
he spoke of women's ways
They trap you, then they use you
Before you even know
For love is blind and you're far too kind
Don't ever let it show

chorus.-
I wish that I knew what I know now,
When I was younger
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger

Then it ends by saying:
Poor old grandson
There's nothing I can say
You'll have to learn just like me
And that's the hardest way.

Confucius thought so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment