Monday 20 January 2014

One a day

Someone gave me some advice about my blog yesterday, they think I should limit my posts to one a day. So, this week I'll try and do that.

In a book I've been reading, the emperor Marcus Aurelius, popped up in a conversation. I really liked what it said about him. So, I thought I would mention him in my post. The only thing is I don't know much about him. The trouble is, my history is all a bit patchy, and like "1066 and all that", I only know things happened a long time ago and were either "a good or bad thing".

Our syllabus at school was rather perplexing. We seemed to spend a long time with Neanderthal man and then suddenly we were learning about Henry the Eighth. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.
I also had a tendency in History lessons, to imagine what it would be like to be a wife and mother in those times. I'd imagine myself with a husband, madly in love with him of course, and looking after my children. So, I'd be in a cave making something tasty out of a Mammoth that had been brought back. Or maybe making soup with herbs and things I had foraged. The history teacher told me not to romanticise the past. They weren't all rolling about in haystacks, having fun.

The Italian system appears to teach History in a more linear way. Italians seem to know a lot more facts.

The type of things that stuck in my head were things like, Marie-Antoinette had a pair of shoes for every day of the year. A pope who died of amorous excess. Alfred burnt some cakes. Queen Victoria never got over losing Albert.

What had attracted me to Marcus Aurelius was the following quote,
"Through not observing what is in the mind of another, a man has seldom been seen to be unhappy. But those who do not observe the movements of their own mind must of necessity be unhappy."


I interpreted this as meaning that we should concentrate on improving ourselves, and to not worry what is in other people's minds, just think the best of them. One of my problems has always been that I get hurt easily and it helps me to think people don't mean any harm. We're all just trying our best.

I thought I ought to know a bit more about Marcus Aurelius. This is what seemed important:-
Marcus Aurelius was born on 26th April 121 in Rome. He married Hadrian's daughter, Faustina, and they had lots of children, the most famous ones being, Lucilla and Commodus.
He was chosen by Hadrian to be his successor. He wrote a book called "Meditations" in Greek, which is a monument to a philosophy of service and duty. He tried to live a "Stoic" life. This means enduring pain and hardship without showing feelings or complaining. He thought that the happiness of life depends upon the quality of your thoughts and following nature as a source of guidance and inspiration.
Well, it sounds like he had his heart in the right place.

Joke for the day about Ancient Rome.
The Roman Emperor asked why they weren't making money from the Colosseum.
Because the lions were eating all the Prophets!

You might like to look at Monty Python's Football Match, but Marcus Aurelius didn't make it to the team!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, good advice, well followed, well done!!

    ReplyDelete