Monday 20 April 2015

Travelling the road together



When you see a road, a lane or a path leading away in front of you and then disappearing from view around a bend or over a hill, stand still for awhile and imagine what could be there waiting. What would you like to be there?


I looked at the road and stood quite still
Leading onwards over the hill
If I walked on would I see a view?
Somewhere I could stay with you?

The road wound on and turned a bend
Not long  now and I 'd meet a friend
Coffee cups waiting all in a row
Come on in I've missed you so.


Along the path and between the trees
All decked out with fresh green leaves
Maybe at the end we'll glimpse the sea
You'll turn your head and smile at me.

Wherever the road goes please come too
I'm never afraid when I'm with you
Wherever it goes and whatever we see
Hold my hand and stay with me.


There's something about a road leading off into the distance that makes you stop and think, especially if you don't know where it goes. You have to pace yourself.
 I'm sure we all have experience of following a route for the first time feeling so much longer than the second time. When you know where you're going and what to expect a journey is much easier.

When you have to contemplate a journey or a task and are not sure of what it entails just one step at a time is the most used advice.

Thomas Carlyle(1795 - 1881) said lots of wise things or aphorisms. Here's a good one for anyone about to embark on a task or journey.

Our grand business undoubtedly is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what clearly lies at hand.

Have a good week everyone.

















 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment