Tuesday 25 March 2014

Wisdom knowledge and 5-a day

One of my favourite quick meals is tomato risotto. It's one of those recipes that I make ad occhio the Italian way . No weights and measures, just throwing it together . I start off frying an onion and then adding chopped cherry tomatoes and letting it all settle down. Then I put in a good fistful of rice per person and stir it all well. Next add stock or hot water and salt and pepper to taste. You can add a sponnful of tomato puree to make it more tomatoey.When it is cooked add a pinch of basil, a knob of butter and some grated cheese . Scatter over some lightly toasted pine nuts and more grated cheese. Today I served it with salad , beetroot and some ham. Afterwards have a bowl of fruit handy and you have had your 5 a day.
In Britain I noticed lots of food products in the supermarket have written on them if they are one or more of your 5 -a-day. They have to be as different and varied as possible and more vegetables than fruit. Two glasses of orange juice is still just one because they have to be different.

While I was chopping the tomatoes I thought of one of those one- line philosophy sayings that someone famous once said and I can't remember who.
To describe the difference between knowledge and wisdom he said "Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in your fruit salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment