Monday 31 March 2014

April Fool's Day, Pesce d'Aprile

The first  day of April is known as April Fool's Day in Britain, and Pesce d'Aprile  April Fish day in Italy.. In Britain it is traditional to tell someone something wrong and make them believe it is the truth. My mum might have said to my Dad, ^Oh no! it's really late, it's 8-o-clock" when really it was only 7-o-clock, and then get him all worked up in a fluster and then laugh and say"April Fool ^. These sort of practical jokes never made him laugh as much as they did her,they had a different type of sense of humour. My first memory of being made an April Fool was when the nicest boy in my class told me that the hem of my skirt had come unstitched. Of course I looked down and tried to find the problem, only to have him quietly say ^April Fool^. I was about eight years old at the time and actually felt happy that he had picked me out. He then gave me a poem that said Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet and so are you".
My first experience of April Fool in Italy was having flour thrown all over me and then having to act as though it was great fun to go home on the bus covered in white powder.

Charles Lamb (1775-1834) wrote an essay on April Fool's day and he reminds us that a little playing the fool is good for us .

April Fool's Day


The compliments of the season to my worthy masters and a merry first of April to us all! Beshrew the man who on such a day as this, the general festival, should affect to stand aloof. I love a Fool - as naturally as if I were of kith and kin to him. I have never made an acquaintance that lasted; or a friendship that answered; with any that had not some tincture of the absurd in their characters. the more laughable blunders that a man shall commit in your company, the more tests he giveth you, that he will not betray or overreach you. And take my word for this, reader, and say a fool told it you, if you please, that he who hath not a dram of folly in his mixture, hath pounds of much worse matter in his composition.

 


In Italy, Fish are a traditional symbol of the first of April, Pesce d'Aprile

Chocolate fish waiting to be eaten on April Fool's Day in Italy

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have now learnt something completely new! What a great post! I love the idea of April Fish! Do people tell tall stories about them?

    ReplyDelete