Saturday 22 March 2014

By the light of the silvery moon


The full moon taken from the car window

The full moon from  a bridge
While we were in England we had a beautiful full moon. There 's something really magical about the moon when you're travelling , it seems to be leading the way home. When my Mum was  alive we loved to know that we were both looking at the same moon, it made us feel a lot nearer .
Last week I took a photo from the car window while crossing a bridge.
Whenever I see the moon snippets of songs run through my head that my Mum used to sing and a poem she liked by Walter de la Mare. 1873- 1956

Now the moon riding by, turns the whole world to silver
And the birds in their nests
Sing a lullabye to you
Sung by my Mum to the tune of Brahm's lullabye

By the light of the silvery moon
I want to spoon, to my honey I'll croon love's tune
Honeymoon keep on shining in June
we 'll be cuddling soon
This song was written in 1909 and is great for singing when the moon is silver.

             

                Silver by Walter de la Mare

Slowly,silently now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon
This way and that, she peers and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees
One by one the casements catch
Her beams beneath the silvery thatch
Couched in his kennel, like a log
With paws of silver, sleeps the dog,
From their shadowy cotes the white breasts peep
Of doves in a silver- feathered sleep
A harvest mouse goes scampering by
With silver claws and silver eye
And moveless fish in the water gleam,
By silver reeds in a silver stream.
The full moon shining on the Thames



No comments:

Post a Comment