Wednesday 5 March 2014

More meals in minutes and superficial thoughts

 
It's always a wonderful feeling to be able to whip up an appetizing lunch in no time at all and with what is in the fridge. Bruschetta is ideal for this purpose. Make sure you have some good quality sliced bread for toasting and just put on the top whatever you fancy. Today I used sliced tomatoes, capers, olives, anchovies and cheese. Sprinkle with oregano and olive oil and hey presto everyone's happy. Then of course the omnipresent salad and mandarini.

While I was waiting for the bruschetta to toast nicely, I watched the News. My sister-in-law says you should only watch one News programme a day. Just enough to know what's going on and care but not enough to keep you awake all night worrying about Japanese weeds throttling British hedges or volcanoes under Naples that could wipe out the whole of Italy in ten minutes. 
So there I was watching the News about The Crimea problem. It made me think of Victorian women knitting Balaclavas ... I also thought am I the only superficial woman watching this wondering if Yulia Thingamebob 's plait is her own hair.

But I don't want you to think I'm superficial not at all. I have just finished reading two books by Ken Follett. The Fall of the Giants and Winter of the World. I think he has a great ability to let you see every side of the problem and you become very fond of the characters in the books. The Welsh, the Germans, the Russians, the Americans. You also understand more about how things came about.
 
One of my favourite authors Kate Atkinson, has got a new book out about what might have happened if the First and Second world wars had never taken place. Of course we will never know, but hopefully the people that can do something about making the world a peaceful place will get some inspiration and not keep making the same mistakes. After all, the world is here for everybody and we need to row together to protect it. I liked Bobby Kennedy's speech about how we are all here on a journey together and should see ourselves as travelling companions, compagni di viaggio...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment