Wednesday 26 March 2014

Oranges and lemons


Always have lemons in the kitchen

Mandarini tree, but the fruit needs the sunshine to taste sweet
It is a common sight in Northern Italy to see lorries selling oranges from the South of Italy . It is well- known that Southern Italians are full of life and vigour so maybe eating oranges can account for that . The lorries overflowing with boxes of oranges are certainly a cheerful sight. Yesterday I saw a lorry load of otanges bearing the sign Allegria e simpatia tengono lontano la gelosia , which means - cheerfulness and friendliness keep jealousy away . What that has to do with oranges I'm not sure but it sounds good. We 're told that we should eat lots of oranges here in Italy and they certainly are worth it .Large nets of oranges and mandarini are on sale in the supermarkets all winter. We have a mandarino tree on our balcony which is over ten years old and happily survivres the cold frosty weather , unlike our poor lemon tree. Mandarini, clementine, satsumas, oranges,tangerines all have one thing in common , they are ... Orange.
One of my favourite nursery rhymes was Oranges and Lemons. I can still see my mum and the other mums all holding hands to make an arch and running under their archway so I didn't get caught . I still love it and thinking of all the bells of London.
Oranges and lemons
Say the bells of St. Clements
I owe you five farthings
Say the bells of St. Martins
When will you pay me
Say the bells of Old Bailey
When I grow rich
Say the bells of Shoreditch
When will that be?
Say thr bells of Stepney
That I don't know
Says the great bell of Bow

Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head . If you are born within the sound of the great bell of Bow you can consider yourself a true Cockney.
Boxes of oranges to make fresh orange juice every morning





No comments:

Post a Comment