Sunday 2 March 2014

There's something about oranges

My friend sent me this poem saying she thought I'd like it too. It seems perfect for the start of the week .To get us all off on the right foot. It is a great time of year for oranges in Italy. There is something about oranges that cheers you up. maybe it is their colour or their shape, and the fact that they have a days supply of vitamin C. I read once, that we should have a green salad and an orange every day. Today, in your shopping basket put some in and read this cheerful poem.

The Orange, Wendy Cope.

At lunchtime I bought a huge orange.
The size of it made us all laugh
I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave,
They got quarters and I had a half.

And that orange, it made me so happy
As ordinary things often do.
Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
This is peace and contentment. It's new.

The rest of the day was quite easy.
I did all the jobs on my list.
And enjoyed them and had some time over.
I love you. I'm glad I exist.


This poem reminded me of a song we sang at school. It 's all about being glad, like The Orange poem.


Glad that I live am I,
That the sky is blue.
Glad for the country lanes,
And the fall of dew.
After the sun the rain,
After rain the sun
This is the way of life,
Till the work be done.

All that we need to do
Be we low or high
Is to see that we grow
Nearer the sky.


Here is one of my favourite recipes for oranges.

Oranges in syrup
 
4 oranges peeled and sliced.
500ml water
5 tbsp sugar
Grand marnier - optional

Put the sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat. When the sugar has dissolved bring to the boil and simmer until reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
Arrange the orange slices in a bowl and pour the cooled syrup carefully over to cover. If liked add a dash of Grandmarnier.



No comments:

Post a Comment