Sunday 23 March 2014

Sunday specials


Insalata Tricolore
This is always a firm favourite in our house and brightens up any meal
 

Whipped cream, strawberries, raspberries and demerera sugar, what's not to like?
My sister- in- law makes the most delicious desserts and one of our favourites is her Fruit of the Forest crème brulée . She insists it is really easy, just fruits of the forest covered with a mixture of Greek yoghurt and whipped double cream, sprinkled with a thick layer of demerera sugar and caramelized under a hot grill. Today I tried to make it for my daughter- in-law , a slightly different version, using the ingredients I had in the fridge.

Strawberries, washed and hulled and sliced
Raspberries , carefully washed
Spread them on the bottom of an oven- proof dish in a thick layer and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
Whip 800ml fresh cream until stiff and spoon over the fruit mixture to cover.
Sprinkle a thick layer of demerera sugar over the top and then put under a very hot grill  for about 5 minutes. Then put it in the fridge for 2 hours.

It was a great success but didn't look quite like my sister- in- law's owing to the grill part of the procedure. I' m thinking of buying a blow torch ... My son said I could just call it something else...
Fruits of the forest crème brulèe, a perfect dessert for Sunday lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment