Tuesday 4 March 2014

Family firiendly French Toast

Just lately I have been having a great time perfecting the art of making French toast. I don't know why it's called that but it sounds much nicer tha Eggy bread.
The first time I saw it made was on holiday with my brother and his wife. Every morning she would lovingly prepare him French toast, it sounds much more romantic like that.
My little grandchildren seem to like eating anything that is slightly golden and can be cut neatly into squares. Cotolette, chicken in breadcrumbs, or whatever looks like that. So to ring the changes I've brushed up my cooking skills and brought back memories of that long ago holiday near Dubrovnik with enormous butterflies and  dahlias and a spectacular few of the beautiful Croatian coast.

French Toast
1 slice of bread per person
1 egg per person, beaten in a bowl with a little milk.
Butter for frying

Beat the egg in a shallow bowl, add a drop of milk and season to taste.
Gently lay the slice of bread in the bowl and press it carefully, turning and letting it absorb as much of the egg mixture as possible. Melt a knob of butter in a non- stick frying pan. Put in the slice of bread and gently fry on both sides until just golden.
This is nice for breakfast with honey or lunch with cherry tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment