Saturday 28 March 2020

TCWG Short Story Journal 0


Hello everyone,
I haven't written on this Blog much in the last few years. For those of you who followed me from the beginning you might remember that my daughter set this blog up for me so I could write a Blog instead of countless emails to my grown up children. For a long time I wrote about my own life, about the poems, songs, anecdotes, the people I love and who have accompanied me along the way, my love of nature, the sunset, the sunrise, a bit less often that, and then something strange happened. I stopped wanting to share myself, to bare myself as my cousin said.
I started to write short stories instead, so I could still write about what I hoped would be useful as sort of life lessons but I could use a bit of poetic license, exaggerate to prove my point. I discovered I loved writing short stories, they were more detached than my Cappuccino and Brioche Blog, I could make things up.

That is just a preamble to introduce myself, because now the leader of my writing group has suggested we all keep a journal for this terrible world wide tragedy.

The first entry of my journal can be found in my short story blog because I put it there by mistake, it's about my brother, if you would like to read it just click on the link to my short story blog.

This is my second entry

Ever since I can remember I thought about what if, what if I found my self in a certain situation, what would I do? How would I feel?
This way I wandered lost though woods like Hansel and Gretel and thought about how I would save my brother, I had nightmares about the Snow Queen and how horrible it would be to lose someone's love.

Once I left the world of childhood and fairy tales and started reading newspapers and watching the news I suffered imagining how I would survive, how I would protect those I love.
My head filled up with useful tips about how to survive an avalanche, by thrashing yourself about to create a huge space around you and then when you stopped, spit so you could see which direction to dig yourself out. If you were in a cable car on your own and for some reason it stopped and you were left dangling there all night then a huge repertoire of songs, poems and happy thoughts would help you .
Watching the film Titanic broke my heart imagining my dad or my husband in later years standing bravely on deck and waving at us in the lifeboat, smiling and saying not to worry he'd be fine and see us soon.  Being taken hostage, another horrific situation. Not being able to see very well without my contact lenses, and so on.
All this rambling just to say we must all have our own survival techniques tucked away inside. This could be a simple as closing your eyes and thinking of all the people you love, of imagining a favourite place to be and engaging all your senses. It could be doing something practical to calm your mind.

This all sounds like a lot of nonsense so please forgive me, I will try again tomorrow.

This is my second entry

2 comments:

  1. Angela, that’s a lovely way to journal this time. I think we will all look back and read our posts with special interest, assuming we all make it through this, of course. I’ll read your first story later. Thank you, and it’s good to see you here again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val, it is a comfort to see your comment, thank you for all your support, looking forward to reading your blog

      Delete