Thursday 1 October 2015

Auntie Peggy's Birthday cake



Auntie Peggy lived next door to me when I was small. She was efficient, brisk and practical and had a heart of gold. I always felt safe when she was around. Everything she did had an almost military precision and order, even the flowers in her garden stood in straight lines, standing to attention. She wasn't really my aunt, but I didn't realize that until years later and I loved her just like all my real aunts.
Her children were younger than me and I was always asked to help with the games when they had their birthday parties. The birthday cake was made the day before and I always helped her make it. Here is the recipe, soothing and relaxing that will take you back to your childhood every time you make it, and that's where you always go on your birthday isn't it?

Auntie Peggy's Birthday cake


250g butter, softened
250g sugar
250g self raising flour
5 eggs, lightly beaten

Cream the butter and the sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy.
Gradually add the beaten eggs whisking with a fork.
Fold in the sifted flour.
Turn the mixture into two cake tins and bake at 180 for about half an hour. Check that the sponges are cooked by gently inserting a knife and making sure it comes away clean.
Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

When the sponges are quite cold sandwich together with the filling of your choice, whipped sweetened cream and strawberry jam are my favourites. then top with icing made by mixing icing sugar and a little water and a few drops of food colouring, or sift over some icing sugar.
Just add balloons, pop corns and a few party games.
Happy Birthday to all of you who have a birthday in October.










Maybe I put a few too many drops of food colouring in the icing

Simple ingredients to make a special celebration cake

No comments:

Post a Comment