Thursday 2 January 2020

With a Little bit of luck ...



The word 'lucky' has never been one of my favourites. Seldom have I told anyone I think they're lucky.  Luck of course is random and unexplained. Luck can be obvious, like where you are born, what family you are born into, which country you are born into, health wealth can be considered luck.
I have a niece who has a very demanding job with people in difficulty and she says that she was so lucky with her family and childhood that she wants to give something back.

As we all exchanged New Year greetings and wishes and wrote messages and texts saying happy New Year, Peaceful New Year I was struck by one that was sent me which wished me a lucky New Year and it started me thinking about that word and realizing that I don't like it because I am a bit afraid of it.

Like most people I probably feel lucky if I'm looking for a parking place and one comes free, or the bus that I'm waiting for is the first to arrive, or if all the traffic lights are green and I just sail into town, but I'm wary of the word 'luck.'

This summer on holiday with my brother and his wife I got stung by a jelly fish, nothing so terrible you might think, but my knee swelled up and I started googling 'jellyfish stings' but my brother had some antihistamines and gave me one and the knee went obediently back to normal. Later on in the summer I got a splinter from my brother's garden furniture and my sister-in-law said how nice it was to have me around because I absorbed all the bad luck.  I looked at my brother and thought how happy I would be to take away any bad luck from him and well jelly fish sings and splinters on the scale of things are quite acceptable and my brother's granddaughter played nurse and made me better.

All this is just to wish all of you that follow my blog a very happy New Year and a pinch of good luck to protect you, and if you do get a splinter or a jellyfish sting may you have someone who cares who can make you better.

1 comment:

  1. What a thoughtful post, Angela. I liked this. Quite often people say 'you're so lucky to do xxx' when luck has nothing to do with it at all. I agree luck is random, but the life we lead and and where we live has nothing to do with luck and everything to do with what we make of it. I am also not in favour of bad luck, though, whether they be jellyfish stings or other chance events that are more dramatic. Happy 2020, dear Angela!

    ReplyDelete