Saturday 17 January 2015

Poem for the day,


My poem for the day is by Christina Rossetti (1830-1894). She had an Italian father and an English mother which is why there is an H in Christina. She grew up in London and had a famous brother who was a poet and a painter, Dante Gabriel Rossetti.

This poem is quite inspiring and comforting to anyone going through a difficult time. She seems to be telling us that though the journey is hard there will be people along the way that will ease the burden.

Uphill


Does the road wind uphill all the way?
Yes, to the very end.
Will the day's journey take the whole long day?
From morn to night, my friend.

But is there for the night a resting place?
A roof for when the slow dark hours begin.
May not the darkness hide it from my face?
You cannot miss that inn.

Shall I meet other wayfarers at night?
Those who have gone before.
Then must I knock, or call when just in sight?
They will not keep you waiting at that door.

Shall I find comfort, travel-sore and weak?
Of labour you shall find the sum.
Will there be beds for me and all who seek?
Yes, beds for all who come.





No comments:

Post a Comment