Tuesday 21 April 2020

Poems to give you hope



Here are two poems for today, both written in troubled times. Poetry seems to speak straight to the soul and poets great gift is to comfort us and speak to parts that need help-

The first one is by Siegfried Sassoon (1886 - 1967)
He witnessed the horrors of the First World war but wrote this poem about the beauty of bird song.

                         Everybody Sang

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark green fields; on; on; and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted,
And beauty came like the setting sun.
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away… O but every one
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing
    will never be done.


the second one is by Patience Strong. Her real name was Winifred Emma May (1907 - 1990) and my mum loved listening to her poems. She wrote poetry during the Second World war to lift up people's spirits and give them hope for peace.

Forget the times of trouble but not the truths they taught.
Forget the days of sorrow but not the strength they brought.

Forget the storms you battled through beneath a heavy load
But not the Light that lead you safely down the unknown road.

I feel thankful to people who wrote poetry that sums up what we are feeling.

A poem a day, a laugh a day, something good to eat a day, a smile a day, a comforting word a day, day by day, one step at a time.

I will end on a light not with a joke

Johnny goes to the doctor

'Doctor, doctor, I keep having a recurring dream. First I'm a wigwam, then I turn into a teepee. Then I'm a wigwam again and then a teepee. What's wrong with me?

The doctor replies, 'It's very simple. You are two tents.  ( too tense)

No comments:

Post a Comment