Thursday 27 November 2014

Happy Thanksgiving



Today is Thanksgiving in the United States. Even if you're not American  you probably know that it is a very important event and people travel far and wide to be with their families and friends and have Roast turkey, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. It involves everyone, all denominations and creeds. It sounds really wonderful. The idea of being grateful and showing everyone how much you care about them. I have chosen a short verse by Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) for poem of the day. It seems appropriate for this occasion. She is telling us that to let the joy within you blossom you have to turn away from cares and worries, you must be aware of it and at the same time not try and hold on to it for too long.

We shun it ere it comes,
Afraid of joy,
Then sue it to delay
And lest it fly
Beguile it more and more -
May not this be
Old suitor heaven,
Like our dismay at thee?

As it's Thanksgiving I'm going to tell you three things that I'm giving thanks for today.
My cappuccino was served with a heart on the top.
I was in a child friendly bar with toys for my granddaughter to play with
A friend of mine asked me round to celebrate her birthday.

Just to end up here is a quotation that a friend of mine gave me;-

Gratitude is the memory of the heart

La Riconoscenza è la memoria del cuore.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment