Sunday 24 August 2014

Synaesthesia - a mingling of the senses

In one of my first posts I mentioned how I have always seen the days of the week as colours. A friend told me that she also sees letters and words as colours. She said that she had seen a programme about it on the television and this capacity to intermingle the senses has a name Synaesthesia. My friend asked me if the letter S had a colour for me. When I answered that I see the letter S as yellow, that clinched it. Apparently one in 2,000 people have this capacity and probably even more without realising it. Colours are often used in language as a means of expression, here are some examples off the top of my head,

To see red   - feel angry
To feel blue - to feel sad
To be green - young or inexperienced
to be in a black mood - to be grumpy and irritable
Someone who is yellow  is a coward
the sound of a bell can be described as silver

You can probably think of lots more examples of mingling the senses with language.
Just for fun I'll try and think of a few sentences,

The silver sound of the sparkling stream
Woke me from my perfumed dream
Of beautiful  pine trees caressed by the sun
Stroking the sky and blowing the clouds
While we lay beneath them, as one

So that is synaesthesia in a nutshell.
Here is a link to one of my favourite songs to cheer you up, ready for Monday, guaranteed.

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and  Wednesday too,
Thursday I don't care about you
Cos Friday I'm in love ...







No comments:

Post a Comment