Tuesday 28 January 2014

A Turn at the Wicket

While we were growing up, my Dad would often say, "Everyone has a turn at the wicket". He was referring to bringing children up, being a parent.
Cricket is a  sport greatly loved, mainly in England, Australia, South Africa, India and Pakistan. Everywhere else, it doesn't seem to be understood, and in fact it causes amusement. In Pakistan and India, cricket players enjoy the status of the great stars of football in Italy.
My Dad loved football and Rugby, and Formula One racing, largely due to the soporific effect of the noise the cars make doing endless laps.
My Mum loved cricket. It summed up, for her, all that was great about her childhood. She didn't live in a pretty village, but near her house there was a large recreation ground, known as the rec. This was a vast green area, with a children's playground, a dike, a football pitch, and a cricket pitch. Nestled in the far corner was the Cricket Pavilion.

I'll briefly explain the game of cricket, to my Italian readers. There are two teams of eleven players on a field, at the centre of which are the wickets, and batting position. Each team takes it in turn to bat, attempting to score runs, while the other team,fields .Each turn is known as an innings.

Another of my Dad's expressions to us, when our behaviour started getting out of hand, was "You've had a good innings". This told us we should be glad with what we'd had, and now it was time to just be grateful.
What my Mum loved about cricket, was that her brothers and friends all played , the cricket pitch was lovely and green with woods around the back, and her mother would make the teas to be had in the Pavilion. She would lend a hand, and her eyes would always light up, remembering the sandwiches, scones and cakes. This was all part of her Winnie-the -Pooh syndrome.
 Every year, she would choose a birthday card for my Uncle Les, that had a cricket scene on it. It reminded her of  how much she enjoyed going to watch him play .It was a link with their childhood.

 I thought about my Dad's expression about parenthood being a "turn at the wicket", yesterday, looking at  my grandchildren. I've had parents and I've been one, and I hope I've made a good job of it. I've certainly enjoyed it. Now it's their turn. You only get one innings.
The cricket match does seem to sum up what you need to be a good parent. Strong men (the dad), wide open spaces to run around in and let off steam. Someone to make the tea in the Pavilion (the Mum), a great team spirit, and good sportsmanship.
Here in Italy, there is now, what would have once been an usual sight. In the park here, in the Summer, Pakistanis and Indians play cricket. Maybe one of the bars could be turned into a Pavilion, and cream teas could be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment