Tuesday 26 November 2013

Books that change your life

A few weeks ago in theguardian online they asked readers to tell them which books have changed their lives. I have always loved reading and hundreds of books have helped me in various ways, but change my life? Yes there is one book that really did change completely how I saw the opposite sex.
A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow made me see young men  with great compassion and  affection and made me realize that I only ever wanted to have a baby by someone who declared his undying love for me...he he
It is the story of a young man who 'gets his girlfriend into trouble' and then does 'the right thing' by marrying her. Our society in the West has moved a long way since then. Thankfully lots of taboos have disappeared, people can marry who they like or not at all, single women and men can have a lot of fun, people can have babies without a father in sight. This is all wonderful and I cannot think that anyone would prefer to see people trapped in miserable marriages or doomed to a life without sex because they never found a partner. Except Bert Baxter in the Adrian Mole novels who said he was against divorce because he had 55 years of misery and didn't see why anyone else should get away with it .
I think the book is out of print now, but it was well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment