Thursday 2 February 2023

When I was ten

 Foxgloves and silver stars,

The moon that shines so bright,

Playing in the garden

In the middle of the night.

Writing on my ruler

So happy to be ten,

Writing in Italics

With my smart new fountain pen.

 'Daisies are our silver

Buttercups our gold',

Oh I can't imagine

Ever growing old.

Going to my auntie's

On a Saturday afternoon,

My cousin is a courting

In the smart front room.

Going with my brother 

On the bus into the town,

Shopping for our mother

With a shiny new half crown.

Going to the sweet shop

With our pocket money,

Buying shrimps and wagon wheels

And liquorice for a penny.

Going to the seaside,

Swanage, Studland Bay,

Off to Burnham Beeches

But only for the day.

Looking for the evening star

Before we go to sleep,

Making wishes constantly

Promises to keep.,

Sausage rolls and madeleines,

Learning how to bake

Coconut ice and chocolate fudge

And Dad's Madeira cake.

Playing in our tree house,

Trying to fly a broom,

If only we'd wished hard enough

We could have reached the moon.

Digging to Australia

With a little plastic spade 

In the car outside The Hour Glass

With crisps and lemonade.

Bunty, Judy, Eagle, Swift

We'd eagerly devour.

Watching children's television

But only for an hour.

Lucille Ball and Benny Hill

Would have us both in fits.

Learning how to twist away

Trying to do the splits.

'You were made for me',

We'd sing and dance and play,

'I feel fine' 'Twist and shout'

And 'Summer Holiday.'

'Return to Sender 

Address unkown,' 

Washing up 

With our Auntie Joan.

'The Wayward Wind' and 'Please, please me',

Salmon sandwiches

On Sunday for tea.

'Stranger on the shore'

Sunday Roast.

In front of the fire

Making toast.

'Like a mashed potato, I can do the twist'

Oh I loved the world like this.

 

 

'Venus in blue jeans'

I loved that song

And I could go on,and on,




Being that little girl again

The one I was

When I was ten.




 

 

 

 

 

 



1 comment:

  1. How lovely this is, Angela. It was my childhood too and you’ve captured it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete