Wednesday 2 September 2015

Blackberry days

But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper.
(The Tale of Peter Rabbit, by Beatrix Potter)

It is too early to think of Autumn just yet. The shops are still full of peaches and the first figs. The sun is still bright and warm and the sea is still inviting. There are however small signs of the approaching Autumn, the evenings are longer and the hedgerows dotted with plump blackberries and hazelnuts.
Just go out and pick a few blackberries and add them to some chopped apple, cook gently and serve with brown sugar and cream. I had an auntie that hated cooking, and when I went to her house her favourite way to serve blackberry and apple was to sprinkle it generously with cornflakes and cream from a tin. We used to eat it watching television.
 My uncle would make funny remarks about the programme we were watching and I would roll around giggling. We usually watched 'Juke Box Jury' and my auntie knew the words of all the songs. I can hear us now, my uncle's remarks, my auntie's singing and my laughing. So this evening I thought of them while making this dessert.
My husband's verdict:- too autumnal for him, we're still in Summer.


2 comments: