Monday 3 February 2014

Little treasures

There can be few more wonderfully, heart-warming sensations, than the feeling of holding a small child's hand. A little head, tucked under your chin, and a small body relaxing against you, these are signs of their absolute trust. Children have always been an important part of my life, from my younger cousins, to the ones I taught, my own and now my grandchildren.
My Dad always said, "Children need looking after". I find myself repeating that phrase to myself a lot. He didn't see a lot of my children, on a daily basis, being in England. He used to ring me up, quite at random, and say, "I feel better just knowing your children are in the world." I feel the same about my grandchildren, I know exactly what he meant. They give so much back, their ready giggles, their joyful play and their spontaneous hugs.

There are lots of poems about the joys of children and childhood. I like Children by Henry Longfellow, it might sound a bit lofty, and slightly old-fashioned, but it's just right for a rainy Monday morning, for whoever has the delight of being near children.


Come to me, O ye children!
  For I hear you at your play,
And the questions that perplexed me
  Have vanished quite away.
............................................................
For what are all our contrivings,
  And the wisdom of our books,
When compared with your caresses,
  And the gladness of your looks?




The Back to the Future films, marked an era for me. It was a time when we would all watch a film together, either squashed together on the sofa at home, or a trip to the cinema, as a treat. In Back to the Future 3, Marty meets his Great grandfather, as a baby. When he is leaving to go back to the future with Doc, he calls out "Look after that baby", to his Great-great-grandma. I always liked that bit, looking after each other, generation after generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment